Thursday, September 1, 1994

Wine, Street Sausages, and the Road to Belgium

Off to Belgium:

When we are beginning our long drive from Normandy to Bastogne region of Belgium I tell John we should stock on some French red wines and load up the trunk while they are still so cheap. I mean really its cheaper than soda at the time we were there. We get a few bottles of some Chateau variety and since I am driving all the way I am not able to enjoy any until we reach our destination.

We also get some great sausages grilled from some street vendor in fresh baguettes for our lunch on-the-go. For me, that was one of the best sausage sandwiches I have ever had. Perhaps we bought them when leaving Amiens but wherever it was it was really good.

We began our drive from Amiens to Belgium and at some cross over point we have to stop for passport control since this is prior to the EU. Not sure if we hit a strip of an autobahn type highway but suddenly the driving is really fast and I have a cheap four cylinder rental. I made the mistake of being in the left lane for awhile but quickly realized I had to get over and stay over.

173px-Flag_of_Belgium.svg-1994-09-1-14-00-1994-09-1-14-00.png

I read the posted major highway speeds in the Netherlands are around 81 mph after I do the metro conversion of course. Here I am talking about the 120km variety.

We stop to hit a quick late afternoon bite and a bathroom break then we keep moving.

images-1994-09-1-14-00-1994-09-1-14-00.jpg

I actually like this more “honored” system of stay over to the right if you are going slower and wish we had it more ingrained in the United States. People drive at all kinds of speeds in all kinds of lanes leading to lots of passing on the right and potentially alot more traffic incidents. Not sure if the statistics back this up but if people going slower would move to the right and people did not pass on the right at a whim it would seem to lead to less trouble overall.

Next: No room at the Inn

No comments: